- Performed at an early age with his father before being noticed by performer Eddie Cantor, who booked him onto the TV show Colgate Comedy Hour in the early 1950s.
- Made feature-film debut in the 1952 musical comedy About Face.
- Originated the role of the Master of Ceremonies in the 1966 Broadway musical Cabaret, for which he won a Supporting Actor Tony Award. He later won an Academy Award for the same role in the 1972 film version.
- Won acclaim playing the husband of an accused murderess and singing "Mister Cellophane" in the 1996 revival of Chicago.
- Played the Wonderful Wizard of Oz in the 2003 original Broadway cast version of Wicked.
- In 2005, portrayed the Ron Rifkin-lookalike Another Mr. Sloane in a story arc on the TV spy series Alias.
- Followed up his 2003 visual memoir Pictures I Had to Take with 2009's 1.3: Images from My Phone, a book of photographs taken with his mobile phone.
- 1973, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2011, Tony — Director (Play): Nominee
- 1986, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1973, BAFTA Film Awards — Most Promising Newcomer to Leading Film Roles: Winner
- 1975, Tony — Actor (Musical): Nominee
- 1972, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 1979, Tony — Actor (Musical): Nominee
- 1967, Tony — Actor, Supporting or Featured (Musical): Winner
- 1993, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1969, Tony — Actor (Musical): Nominee
- Mickey Katz — Father
- Ron Katz — Brother
- Jennifer Grey — Daughter
- James Grey — Son
- Jo Wilder — Ex-wife
- Grace Katz — Mother
Ranking Big Bang Theory's Guest Stars
From Stan Lee to Leonard Nimoy, check out the greatest cameos on the CBS sitcom
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Everything We Know About Star Trek: Picard So Far
- 2. Here Are the Most-Watched Netflix Originals, By the Numbers
- 3. Suits: The Firm Will Have to Pay for Its Sins in the Final Season
- 4. Follow the Love Island Cast on Instagram
- 5. Game of Thrones Creators Bail on Comic-Con Panel
- 6. Love Island Recap: Talk About an Incredibly Awkward Kiss, Am I Right?
- 7. What to Stream the Weekend of July 19