- Tried out for the 1968 Olympic gymnastics team, placing 14th out of a field of 28. After a knee injury sidelined her, she turned to dancing.
- Dropped out of college to tour with the Broadway-bound production Clown Around, helmed by Gene Kelly.
- Performed at Disneyland before receiving her big break in the touring company of John Guare's musical adaption of Shakespeare's Two Gentlemen of Verona (1973).
- Studied acting with Lee Strasberg, Peggy Feury, Jeff Corey and David Craig.
- A success in TV commercials, Kerns once had 18 national spots running at the same time.
- Seminal role was as frazzled journalist mom Maggie Seaver in the sitcom Growing Pains (1985-92).
- Continued acting after Growing Pains ended but shifted her focus to directing as well as developing, writing and producing TV-movies.
- Co-founded the Lucy Awards, entertainment awards named in honor of Lucille Ball.
- David DeVarona — Father
- Donna DeVarona — Sister
- Kurt DeVarona — Brother
- David DeVarona — Brother
- Marc Francis Appleton — Husband
- Ashley Cooper Kerns — Daughter
- Martha Louise DeVarona — Mother
- Richard Martin Kerns — Ex-husband
- Attended University of California, Los Angeles, California, United States
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorites shows - Start Now
- 1. Did True Detective Just Reveal The Season 3 Killer?
- 2. Baywatch on Amazon Prime Will Heat Up Your Winter
- 3. Here's What to Stream Before Gillian Anderson Arrives on The Crown
- 4. Pete Davidson Returns to SNL to Talk a Bit About Mental Health but Mostly The Mule
- 5. Saturday Night Live Spoofs the Shutdown with Deal or No Deal Parody
- 6. At Long Last, the American Gods Season 2 Trailer Is Here
- 7. Happy Super Blood Wolf Moon! Here's a Ranking of the Best TV Werewolves