- Her father played double bass in the New York City Ballet Orchestra.
- As a teen, lied about her age to work as a chorus girl at the Copacabana in New York City.
- Made Broadway debut in 1961 in Advise and Consent.
- Was a classmate of Walter Koenig (Chekov on Star Trek) at New York's Neighborhood Playhouse.
- First TV work was on the soap Love of Life from 1962-65.
- Introduced to husband Ron Leibman by mutual friend Brenda Vaccaro while he was starring in 1983's Romantic Comedy. The pair have acted together several times, including roles in a 1995 episode of Law & Order and the 2002 film Dummy.
- In 2011, reunited with actor George Segal (she played his ex-wife on Just Shoot Me) for the TV Land series Retired at 35.
- Shares a birthday with her Arrested Development costar Portia de Rossi.
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1972, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 1967, Golden Globe — New Star of the Year - Actress: Nominee
- 1975, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series: Winner
- 2004, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1980, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1977, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress for a Single Appearance in a Drama or Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2013, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2005, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- Esther — Mother
- Ron Leibman — Husband
- David — Father
- Ross Bowman — Ex-husband
- Brooke — Daughter
- Attended the Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre, New York, New York, United States
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Shadowhunters' Matthew Daddario Says Malec Is Heading for Rough Waters
- 2. Miracle Workers' Geraldine Viswanathan Isn't Here For Hollywood Tokenism
- 3. The Bachelor: Colton Is a Messy Bro Who Lives for Drama
- 4. Here's Where Every Game of Thrones Character Is Right as Season 8 Begins
- 5. Alison's Dark Side Emerges in This Perfectionists Sneak Peek
- 6. Oscars 2019: Live Updates From the 91st Academy Awards
- 7. Kel Mitchell Confirms He Will Appear in Kenan Thompson's All That Revival