- Took piano lessons as a child with two of his cousins, future country singer Mickey Gilley and future televangelist Jimmy Swaggart.
- Received most of his musical education by sneaking into a black rhythm-and-blues club called Haney's Big House, owned by his uncle, Lee Calhoun.
- Made his public debut at 14 in a Ford dealership parking lot, performing "Drinkin' Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee" with a local band.
- Attended the Southwestern Bible Institute as a teen, but was asked to leave for performing a boogie-woogie rendition of the hymn "My God Is Real."
- Rose to fame in 1957 with the early rock & roll hits "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" and "Great Balls of Fire."
- Marriage later that year to his 13-year-old second cousin, Myra Gale Brown, erupted into a scandal that nearly destroyed Lewis' career.
- Reinvented himself as a country-and-western singer in the late 1960s, starting with the hit "Another Place, Another Time."
- Along with Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly and Ray Charles, was included in the inaugural Rock and Roll Hall of Fame class in 1986.
- Re-recorded many of his hits for the 1989 biopic Great Balls of Fire, starring Dennis Quaid and Winona Ryder.
- 1986, Grammy — Best Spoken Word or Non-Musical Recording: Winner
- Elmo Lewis Jr. — Brother
- Frankie Jean Lewis — Sister
- Steve Allen Lewis — Son
- Jaren Gunn — Ex-wife
- Kerrie McCarver — Ex-wife
- Linda Gail Lewis — Sister
- Myra Gale Brown — Ex-wife
- Jerry Lee Lewis Jr. — Son
- Jane Mitcham — Ex-wife
- Mamie Lewis — Mother
- Jimmy Swaggart — Cousin
- Phoebe Lewis — Daughter
- Lee Calhoun — Uncle
- J.W. Brown — Cousin
- Elmo Lewis — Father
- Shawn Stephens — Wife (deceased)
- Dorothy Barton — Ex-wife
- Jerry Lee Lewis III — Son
- Mickey Gilley — Cousin
- Judith Brown — Wife
- Attended Southwestern Bible Institute, Waxahachie, Texas, United States
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. 7 Burning Questions The Umbrella Academy Season 2 Needs to Answer
- 2. The 12 Biggest Differences Between Netflix's Umbrella Academy and the Comics
- 3. Every Actor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe Who Has Been Nominated for an Oscar
- 4. Bugs Do Their Own Exterminating on The Blacklist
- 5. The First Descendants 3 Teaser Is Here and It's Straight-Up Villainous Fun
- 6. Jeremiah Tortures Bruce with His Most Tragic Memory in New Gotham Trailer
- 7. Clary Will Be 'Forever Changed' When Shadowhunters Returns