An intense, brooding actor, Sisto has made a career out of playing complex, troubled characters, from the title roles in the TV-movies Julius Caesar and Jesus to his turn as a mentally disturbed sibling on the lauded family drama Six Feet Under. Along with his sister, Sisto acted at Chicago's prestigious Goodman Theater as a child and made his film debut in Grand Canyon while still a teen. In the 1990s, he relocated to Hollywood and began landing supporting parts on both the big and small screens. Yet despite his lengthy résumé, he remained under the radar until 2001, when his Six Feet Under success led to a slew of indie-movie roles. In 2006, Sisto returned to television as a rogue ex-FBI agent on the drama Kidnapped. While that series was canceled after only a handful of episodes aired, he found stable employment on the long-running series Law & Order a year later. Off screen, Sisto enjoys Bocci (Italian bowling) and playing the guitar.
- His middle name, Merton, comes from the philosopher Thomas Merton.
- Grew up in Chicago and started acting at the age of 8 with his sister. They made their stage debut in a production of Tennessee Williams' House Not Meant to Stand.
- Appeared as a young boy in the music video for Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It."
- Made his film debut in 1991 playing Kevin Kline's son in Grand Canyon.
- Hobbies include playing the guitar and Bocci (Italian bowling).
- 2005, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2002, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Winner
- Reedy Gibbs — Mother
- Charlie-Ballerina Sisto — Daughter
- Marisa Ryan — Ex-wife
- Dick Sisto — Father
- Meadow Sisto — Sister
- Bastian Kick Sisto — Son
- Addie Lane — Wife
- Attended University of California, Los Angeles, California, United States