- Served as a radio operator in the Army during World War II.
- Studied acting in New York with famed Broadway performer and instructor Stella Adler.
- Good friend of Bruce Lee; acted as a pallbearer at Lee's funeral in 1973.
- Appeared on the cover of the Paul McCartney & Wings album Band on the Run.
- Suffered from severe Rheumatoid Arthritis, a disease that significantly hurt his career until holistic treatments helped to lessen his pain.
- Suffered a fatal heart attack while listening to music in his house with his wife on November 18, 2002.
- 1998, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1999, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Supporting Male: Nominee
- 2002, Emmy — Outstanding Miniseries: Nominee
- 1998, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Winner
- Lisa Coburn — Daughter
- Paula O'Hara — Wife
- James H. Coburn — Father
- Mylet S. Coburn — Mother
- James Coburn Jr. — Son
- Beverly Kelly — Ex-wife
- Lynsey De Paul — Ex-significant Other
- Los Angeles City College, Los Angeles, California, United States; University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, United States
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. What to Stream the Weekend of July 19
- 2. A.P. Bio Saved From Cancellation by NBC's New Streaming Service
- 3. The Walking Dead Season 10: Everything We Know So Far
- 4. Spotted: Gossip Girl Reboot Heads to HBO Max
- 5. Elliot Gets Grilled Mercilessly in This Mr. Robot Final Season Sneak Peek
- 6. The Hunt for Notorious Serial Killer BTK Is On in Mindhunter Season 2 Photos
- 7. The Originals Star Joseph Morgan Is Headed to Animal Kingdom