An appealing actress and singer known for her spunk, Duff was only 14 when she came to prominence on the hit Disney sitcom Lizzie McGuire, which spawned a feature film in 2003. She solidified her teen-icon status with roles in a succession of popular family-oriented movies (Cheaper by the Dozen, A Cinderella Story) and a series of successful pop albums and tours, including 2005's Most Wanted, a compilation of remixed hits and a handful of new songs cowritten by her then-boyfriend, Good Charlotte frontman Joel Madden. A fashion plate and tabloid magnet, Duff's personal life was often the subject of gossip, including rumors of a long-running feud with Lindsay Lohan over their mutual ex, Aaron Carter. The gossip about her romantic life has died down with the announcement of her engagement to hockey player Mike Comrie n February 2010. When not working, she's been a supporter and ambassador for Blessings in a Backpack, which provides healthy food for needy kids to take home to their families for the weekend.
- Began professional career at age 6 by appearing in commercials and dancing with sister, Haylie, in the Columbus Ballet production of The Nutcracker.
- Landed first film role in 1997 appearing (uncredited) in the two-part TV-movie True Women.
- Cast in the pilot of NBC's failed 2000 sitcom Daddio, but was replaced before the show aired. Disappointed, she then auditioned for the lead role in Disney's Lizzie McGuire and got the part.
- Feuded with actress Lindsay Lohan in 2002 when both stars were reportedly dating singer Aaron Carter at the same time.
- Turned down offer for a second Lizzie McGuire movie and an ABC series that would have focused on the character's high-school years to concentrate on music and feature-film career.
- Debut solo album Metamorphosis released in 2003.
- Launched Stuff by Hilary Duff, an accessory and clothing line, in 2004.
- Expanded her love for fashion by launching Femme, a fashion line for DKNY Jeans, in 2009.
- Loves dogs and has appeared with her dog Lola in the video game the Sims 2: Pets.
- Robert Erhard Duff — Father
- Susan Colleen Cobb — Mother
- Joel Madden — Ex-significant Other
- Aaron Carter — Ex-significant Other
- Haylie Duff — Sister
- Mike Comrie — Ex-husband
- Luca Cruz Comrie — Son