- Had a long stage career, first in the United Kingdom and then in the U.S., making his Broadway debut in The Price of Peace in 1901.
- Transitioned from Broadway to Hollywood by recreating his stage role in Reunion in Vienna for the big-screen version in 1933.
- Portrayed Clarence the angel in the Frank Capra classic It's a Wonderful Life (1946).
- Died of arteriosclerosis at age 91.
- Is buried in Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, CA.
- 1942, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee