- Had a long stage career, first in the United Kingdom and then in the U.S., making his Broadway debut in The Price of Peace in 1901.
- Transitioned from Broadway to Hollywood by recreating his stage role in Reunion in Vienna for the big-screen version in 1933.
- Portrayed Clarence the angel in the Frank Capra classic It's a Wonderful Life (1946).
- Died of arteriosclerosis at age 91.
- Is buried in Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, CA.
- 1942, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Avan Jogia and Kelli Berglund Read High Ideas from Reddit
- 2. Here's What's New on Netflix in April
- 3. What's Leaving Netflix in April
- 4. Kit Harington Says Game of Thrones Season 8 Gave Him 'Peace' About Jon Snow
- 5. Luke Perry Might Have Appeared in the Beverly Hills, 90210 Revival After All
- 6. 129 Things Degrassi Taught Me About Sex, Dating, and Puberty
- 7. When It Comes to Sex and Profanity on TV, Where the F*ck Do We Draw the Line?