- At 8, talked his mother into taking him to an open casting call for the Sissy Spacek film Raggedy Man (1981), and won the role of her son.
- His audition for E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial left Steven Spielberg in tears.
- Was originally set to play the young King Arthur in the 1998 miniseries Merlin, but was denied entry into England because his working papers were not in order; he was replaced in the cast by Paul Curran.
- Was in a Texas band called the Blue Heelers in the mid-to-late 1990s and the California-based band Farspeaker in the 2010s.
- Inducted into the Texas Film Hall of Fame in 2013.
- 1983, Golden Globe — New Star of the Year - Actor: Nominee
- 1996, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 1983, BAFTA Film Awards — Outstanding Newcomer to Leading Film Roles: Nominee
- Marie Zielcke — Ex-wife
- Hazel Thomas — Daughter
- Henry Jackson Thomas — Father
- Kelley Hill — Ex-wife
- Carolyn L. Thomas — Mother
- Attended Blinn College, Brenham, Texas, United States