- At 8, talked his mother into taking him to an open casting call for the Sissy Spacek film Raggedy Man (1981), and won the role of her son.
- His audition for E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial left Steven Spielberg in tears.
- Was originally set to play the young King Arthur in the 1998 miniseries Merlin, but was denied entry into England because his working papers were not in order; he was replaced in the cast by Paul Curran.
- Was in a Texas band called the Blue Heelers in the mid-to-late 1990s and the California-based band Farspeaker in the 2010s.
- Inducted into the Texas Film Hall of Fame in 2013.
- 1983, Golden Globe — New Star of the Year - Actor: Nominee
- 1996, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 1983, BAFTA Film Awards — Outstanding Newcomer to Leading Film Roles: Nominee
- Carolyn L. Thomas — Mother
- Henry Jackson Thomas — Father
- Kelley Hill — Ex-wife
- Marie Zielcke — Ex-wife
- Hazel Thomas — Daughter
- Attended Blinn College, Brenham, Texas, United States
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorites shows - Start Now
- 1. The Roswell, New Mexico Stars Played 'Guess That Alien', and They Were Honestly Stellar
- 2. Sex Education Is the Most Honest Coming-of-Age TV Show We've Seen in Forever
- 3. The 25 Best Ships Ever on Freeform
- 4. Game of Thrones' Bosses Wish There Were No Trailers for Season 8
- 5. The Bachelor's Demi Knows Exactly What She's Doing
- 6. CBS Spring 2019 Premiere Dates: Here's When You Can Watch NCIS, Ransom, The Red Line and More
- 7. Everything to Know About The Sopranos Movie, The Many Saints of Newark