- Served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.
- Sang in a barbershop quartet while in high school and later toured the U.S. with a Baptist choir.
- Studied theater at the Pasadena Playhouse.
- An early acting job was on the first episode of the show Suspicion titled "Four O'Clock" directed by Alfred Hitchcock in 1957.
- Roomed with Jack Nicholson for two and a half years in the Hollywood Hills during the 1960s.
- Breakout role came in 1984 at age 58 as a mostly silent drifter in director Wim Wender's Paris, Texas.
- An accomplished musician who led his own group, the Harry Dean Stanton Band, originally known as Harry Dean Stanton and the Repo Men.
- To help maintain its secrecy, learned of the demise of his character Roman Grant on the HBO show Big Love shortly before filming.
- Voiced the part of a prairie dog in Rango (2011).
- 1999, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- Archie Stanton — Brother
- Ralph Stanton — Brother
- Sheridan Harry Stanton — Father
- Ersel Stanton — Mother
- Attended University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, United States
- 1. Legacies Finally Revealed What Became of Klaus After He Died on The Originals
- 2. James Corden Is Giving Us All Cardi B Carpool Karaoke for Christmas
- 3. The Best New Shows and Movies on Netflix This Week - Roma, Bruce Springsteen
- 4. Eliza Dushku Was Written Off Bull After Accusing Michael Weatherly of Sexual Harassment
- 5. Kit Harington Met Another Famous Dragon in the Game of Thrones Crossover We Didn't Know We Needed
- 6. Alias' Jennifer Garner and J.J. Abrams Are Reuniting for an Apple Series
- 7. Grey's Anatomy: Here's Our Best Guess for Who Jennifer Grey Will Play in Season 15