- Her uncle is Hammer Horror legend Sir Christopher Lee.
- Was made an associate artist of the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1987, and has worked with them consistently throughout her career.
- Is a patron of the charities Shakespeare Schools Festival and Prisoners Abroad.
- Is the great-great-great-granddaughter of John Walter, founder of British newspaper The Times.
- Has published three books, including Other People's Shoes and Facing It.
- Was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 2000, and Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) for services to drama in 2011.
- Her partner of eight years, actor Peter Blythe, died from lung cancer in 2004.
- Married American stage actor Guy Schuessler (stage name Guy Paul) in 2011.
- Dropped her trademark "cut glass" accent in favor of a grittier estuary English accent for her recurring role in Law And Order UK.
- 2009, Tony — Actress (Play): Nominee
- 2016, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- Guy Schuessler — Husband
- Peter Blythe — Ex-significant Other
- Christopher Lee — Uncle
- London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, London, England
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Mindhunter : Is Bill's Son a Murderer in the Making?
- 2. Marcel, the Friends Monkey, Is Still A Bigger Star than Joey Tribbiani
- 3. How Michael Kelly Was Able to Finally Say Goodbye to House of Cards' Doug Stamper
- 4. Peter Fonda, Star of Easy Rider, Dead at 79
- 5. Here's What's Coming to Amazon in September
- 6. How To Watch the 2019 Emmy Nominated Shows Without A Cable Subscription
- 7. These Are the Real-Life Murderers of Mindhunter Season 2