- Her family frequently moved around the U.S. when she was growing up, as her father served in the Coast Guard.
- Performed with the American Light Opera Company in Washington, D.C.
- Debuted on Broadway in a 1964 production of Hello, Dolly!
- Film debut was in the 1971 comedy-drama Taking Off.
- Her comedic skills turned what was supposed to be a one-time-only appearance in a 1972 episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show into a regular role.
- 2003, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1977, Emmy — Outstanding Continuing Performance by a Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1976, Emmy — Outstanding Continuing Performance by a Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2004, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1972, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Supporting Actress: Nominee
- Robin Ruth — Sister
- Benjamin Franklin Engel — Father
- Ruth Engel — Mother
- Penelope Ann — Sister
- University of Hawai'i, Honolulu, Hawaii, United States (BA in Drama, 1969)
- 1. The Most Popular Show of 2018 Isn't Even on Anymore
- 2. Where to Stream Penny Marshall's Best Movies and TV Shows
- 3. All the TV Marathons Airing on Christmas
- 4. There's a Queer as Folk Reboot in the Works at Bravo
- 5. Penny Marshall, Prolific Actress and Director, Dead at 75
- 6. George Takei Is Headed to AMC's The Terror
- 7. NBC Sets Premiere Dates for John Legend's Season of The Voice and Much More