- First garnered attention as one of Scarlett O'Hara's suitors in Gone With the Wind; first major role was as the Claudette Colbert character's love interest in the 1943 wartime flag-waver So Proudly We Hail!
- Served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II—on Broadway (in a USAAF production titled Winged Victory).
- Had small roles in such notable 1940s and '50s films as The Fighting 69th, Knute Rockne: All American, Samson and Delilah, From Here to Eternity and Westward Ho the Wagons!
- Was offered the role of Superman on TV after the actor who played the Man of Steel in an earlier movie serial (Kirk Alyn) declined because he was afraid of being typecast.
- Sang on The Tony Bennett Show (a summer replacement for The Perry Como Show) on NBC in 1956.
- The 2006 thriller Hollywoodland is a fictionalized account of his mysterious 1959 shooting death.
- Leonore Lemmon — Fiancée
- Frank Bessolo — Stepfather
- Don Brewer — Father
- Toni Mannix — Significant Other
- Helen Lescher — Mother
- Ellanora Needles — Wife
- Pasadena Junior College, Pasadena, California, United States (1934)