- Made his stage debut at age 14 in an off-off-Broadway production of A Christmas Carol; made his film debut in the 1981 slasher flick The Burning.
- Succeeded Matthew Broderick on Broadway in Harvey Fierstein's Torch Song Trilogy in 1982.
- Cofounded New York's Naked Angels Theater Company in 1986.
- Is an advisory-board member of the Adrienne Shelley Foundation, which supports female filmmakers.
- Co-owner of the New York production company GreeneStreet Films.
- Cofounder of the documentary company Insurgent Media.
- Plays the harmonica.
- Enjoys scuba diving.
- 2009, Oscar — Best Documentary (Feature): Winner
- 2012, Emmy — Outstanding Nonfiction Series: Nominee
- 2010, Producers Guild Awards — Outstanding Producer of Documentary Theatrical Motion Picture: Winner
- 2017, Emmy — Exceptional Merit in Documentary Filmmaking: Nominee
- 2017, Emmy — Outstanding Directing For A Nonfiction Program: Nominee
- 2016, Emmy — Exceptional Merit in Documentary Filmmaking: Nominee
- Sally — Mother
- Michelle Pfeiffer — Ex-significant Other
- New York University, New York, New York, United States