- An acclaimed classical stage actress, she has worked with Britain's Royal Shakespeare Company and Royal National Theater.
- Received the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art's Ronson Award for Most Promising Pupil in 1982.
- Turned heads when she starred as the title character in a controversial 1995 production of Richard II for London's National Theatre.
- Has starred in many plays directed by longtime friend/collaborator Deborah Warner, including Richard II, Electra, The Powerbook, The Wasteland and Medea.
- Was awarded an honorary CBE (Commander of the British Empire) in 2001.
- Received honorary doctorates from the National University of Ireland and Trinity College, Dublin.
- Has directed operas for the English National Opera, including Riders to the Sea in 2008 and The Marriage of Figaro in 2011.
- 2003, Tony — Actress (Play): Nominee
- 2008, Olivier Awards — Best Actress: Nominee
- Mary Teresa Wilson — Mother
- Denison Joseph Wilson — Father
- Denis Wilson — Father
- Mary — Mother
- University College Cork, County Cork, Ireland (BA in Philosophy, 1979); Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, London, England (1982)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. We Demand Justice for Old Knight, The OA's Telepathic Octopus
- 2. The Best Romance Shows and Movies to Stream on Netflix Right Now
- 3. What's Fact and Fiction in Netflix's Mötley Crüe Biopic The Dirt?
- 4. The Blacklist Gets the Band Back Together
- 5. Patricia Arquette's Kids Didn't Want Her to Star in Hulu's True Crime Story The Act
- 6. Queer Eye's Karamo Brown Reveals How He Gets That Emotional Breakthrough With Each 'Hero'
- 7. Aidy Bryant Takes Us Behind Filming Shrill's Empowering Fat Babe Pool Party