- Nearly missed the Atlanta American Idol audition because she decided she couldn't sing on an empty stomach and left. When she returned, she was told it was too late to get in. A security guard who heard her sing earlier took her by the hand and walked her in.
- Season 3 winner of Idol (2004); runner-up was Diana DeGarmo.
- First single "I Believe" debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard charts.
- Portrayed her idol, Aretha Franklin, on an episode of NBC's American Dreams in November 2004.
- Published the autobiographical Life Is Not a Fairy Tale in September 2005; played herself in the TV-movie version.
- Received four Grammy nominations for her debut album Free Yourself.
- Appeared on Broadway for a year as Celie, the lead role in The Color Purple.
- Dropped out of high school in ninth grade, but received an honorary degree from the school in 2010.
- 2010, Grammy — Best Female R&B Vocal Performance: Winner
- Kendall Taylor — Husband
- Diane Barrino-Barber — Mother
- Joseph Barrino — Father
- Zion — Daughter
- Joseph Barrino Jr. — Brother
- Antwaun Cook — Ex-significant Other
- Dallas Xavier Barrino — Son
- Addie Collins — Grandmother
- Ricco Barrino — Brother
- Brandel Shouse — Ex-significant Other
- Xavier Barrino — Brother
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Prodigal Son Stars Preview Fox's Dark but Fun Serial Killer Procedural
- 2. Tommy Shelby Has Another War on His Hands in the Peaky Blinders Season 5 Trailer
- 3. Chuck Lorre's Bob Hearts Abishola Is a Love Story That Crosses Boundaries
- 4. American Horror Story: A Definitive Timeline
- 5. It Will Be a Miracle If Brooke Survives the Entire American Horror Story: 1984 Season
- 6. Big Brother 21: Cliff Hogg Just Made a $500,000 Mistake (and It'll Cost Nicole, Too)
- 7. All Hail Demi and Kristian, the Queens of Bachelor in Paradise