- Broke into acting in the early 1980s with a series of national Burger King commercials.
- Made her big-screen debut playing the girlfriend of Ralph Macchio's character in The Karate Kid (1984).
- Took a break from Hollywood in 2000 and returned to Harvard to finish her political-science degree.
- Played on a boys' soccer team for three years prior to high school; the experience inspired the 2007 indie drama Gracie, which was directed by her husband Davis Guggenheim.
- 1996, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Female Lead: Winner
- 1995, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1996, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 1996, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1995, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- Davis Guggenheim — Husband
- James Shue — Father
- Anne Harms — Mother
- Miles William Guggenheim — Son
- William Shue — Brother
- Agnes Charles Guggenheim — Daughter
- Andrew Shue — Brother
- Stella Street Guggenheim — Daughter
- John Shue — Brother
- Attended Wellesley College, Wellesley, Massachusetts, United States; Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts, United States (BA in Political Science, 2000)