- Emigrated from Romania with his family in 1903 and settled on New York's Lower East Side.
- Made his Broadway debut in 1915 in the play Under Fire and his (uncredited) film debut a year later in Arms and the Woman.
- Achieved stardom as a "tough guy" in the 1931 gangster drama Little Caesar.
- Made five films with Humphrey Bogart, most notably Key Largo.
- Significant films include Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet (1940), Double Indemnity (1944) and The Ten Commandments (1956)
- Threatened with blacklisting during the McCarthy era, he cooperated with the House Un-American Activities Committee and was cleared of any ties to Communist organizations.
- Awarded an honorary Oscar in 1973, but died two months before the ceremonies.
- Finished his final film, Soylent Green, less than two weeks before his death from cancer.
- Pictured on a 33-cent U.S. stamp as part of the U.S. Postal Service's "Legends of Hollywood" series.
- 1972, Oscar — Honorary Award: Winner
- 1956, Tony — Actor (Dramatic): Nominee
- 1969, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Life Achievement Award: Winner
- 1949, Cannes Film Festival — Best Actor: Winner
- Edward G. Robinson Jr. — Son
- Jane Bodenheimer — Wife
- Sarah Goldenberg — Mother
- Gladys Lloyd — Ex-wife
- Morris Goldenberg — Father
- City University of New York, City College, New York, New York, United States (1914); American Academy of Dramatic Arts, New York, New York, United States
Game of Thrones Season 8 Complete Coverage
Every recap, review, ranking, explainer, and fan theory you need
Every Episode of Game of Thrones, Ranked From Worst to Best
Find out which episode of the HBO hit reigns supreme.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. One Chicago Is Losing Jon Seda and Two More Actors
- 2. Angry Red Keeps Things Interesting on The Blacklist
- 3. Bellamy and Echo Will Be a 'Great Unit' in The 100 Season 6
- 4. Station 19 Just Tried to Pull a This Is Us with Chief Ripley
- 5. Grey's Anatomy: Jo's Downward Spiral Is Going to Ruin Her Life
- 6. All the Easter Eggs You Missed From The Twilight Zone, Legacies, Game of Thrones, and More
- 7. Everything We Know About The Handmaid's Tale Season 3 So Far