- Took her pen name during a drive through Cody, WY, while listening to a song called "El Diablo."
- While working at an ad agency in Minneapolis in 2003, she entered an amateur stripper contest on a whim, then quit her day job to strip full-time and work at a peep show; wrote a 2005 memoir called Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper.
- Was signed by a Hollywood literary manager after he discovered her blog.
- Received an Oscar for the first screenplay she wrote, Juno.
- In 2011, started hosting an online interview program called Red Band Trailer, which features Cody interviewing celebrities in an Airstream trailer.
- Served as cochair for the Athena Film Festival, which celebrates women's leadership, in 2013.
- 2017, Writers Guild Awards — Episodic Comedy: Nominee
- 2008, Independent Spirit Awards — Best First Screenplay: Winner
- 2008, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Original Screenplay: Winner
- 2008, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Writer: Winner
- 2012, Critics' Choice Movie Awards — Best Original Screenplay: Nominee
- 2008, Writers Guild Awards — Original Screenplay: Winner
- 2012, Writers Guild Awards — Original Screenplay: Nominee
- 2008, Golden Globe — Best Screenplay - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2007, Oscar — Best Writing (Original Screenplay): Winner
- Greg Busey — Father
- Pam Busey — Mother
- Jon Hunt — Ex-husband
- Dan Maurio — Husband
- Marcello Daniel Maurio — Son
- Marc Busey — Brother
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, United States (2000)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. 10 Spooky Shows to Stream for Halloween Screams
- 2. Castle Rock Season 2 Boss on Crafting the Origin Story for Misery's Annie Wilkes
- 3. Holiday Gift Ideas for Fans of Star Wars, Marvel, Game of Thrones, and More
- 4. Curtis Returns in New Arrow Season 8 Photos
- 5. Evil Sam Winchester: A Supernatural Retrospective
- 6. How to Watch Hocus Pocus This Halloween Season
- 7. Here's Your Essential Star Wars Holiday Gift Guide