- Worked as a bookseller before discovering his passion for acting.
- Made his professional stage debut as Snout in the English Stage Company's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream in 1962.
- Joined the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1963, portraying Trinculo in The Tempest, Cinna the Poet in Julius Caesar, the titular role in Hamlet and Henry VI in multiple productions.
- Returned to the stage in 2002 after 30 years to star in Olaf Olafsson's production of The Feast of the Snails at the Lyric Shaftesbury in the West End after long suffering from acute stage fright.
- Played the titular role in Steven Pimlott's stage production of King Lear at the Chichester Festival Theatre in 2005.
- Has done extensive voice-over work for numerous TV series, video games, audio plays and radio productions.
- Accrued more than 200 on-screen acting credits throughout his career.
- 1981, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Special: Winner
- 1978, Emmy — Outstanding Continuing Performance by a Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1967, BAFTA Film Awards — Best British Actor: Nominee
- 1997, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- Doreen Hattersley — Mother
- Melissa — Daughter
- Sheilah Kent — Ex-wife
- Harriet Warner — Ex-wife
- Herbert Warner — Father
- Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, London, England