- After moving to Hollywood, his first showbiz job was writing for ROMP!, a TV variety show.
- Began performing the character of Squiggy alongside college pal Michael McKean's character of Lenny with the satiric comedy team the Credibility Gap. Penny Marshall saw them perform and invited them to a party so her brother, Garry Marshall, could see their act; he put them on Laverne & Shirley.
- A devoted baseball fan, he was part owner of the minor league Portland Beavers in the 1980s and has scouted for the Anaheim Angels and Seattle Mariners.
- Was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1984, and went public with the info in 1999.
- Penned the memoir Fall Down, Laughing: How Squiggy Caught Multiple Sclerosis and Didn't Tell Nobody (2000).
- Is a spokesperson for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and was named their Ambassador of the Year in 2000.
- Visits baseball stadiums and then writes reviews on his Web site about how accommodating they are to persons with disabilities.
- Kathy Fields — Wife
- Thea Poole — Ex-wife
- Natalie Lander — Daughter
- Stella Landau — Mother
- Sol Landau — Father
- Attended Carnegie Mellon University, Carnegie Institute of Technology, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States; attended New York University, New York, New York, United States