- Has sold, as part of Pink Floyd, over 74 million records and CDs in the U.S., and more than 200 million worldwide.
- Acquired his first guitar at age 13, when a neighbor lent him his. He never returned it.
- Learned to play guitar from a Pete Seeger guitar-instruction record and book.
- Met Syd Barrett, a founding member of Pink Floyd, during childhood in Cambridge .
- Spent the summer of 1965 busking in the south of France with Syd Barrett.
- Briefly worked as a model during the mid-1960s.
- Recruited to Pink Floyd in 1968 to flesh out their sound; Syd Barrett left shortly thereafter.
- Pink Floyd's classic 1973 LP Dark Side of the Moon remained on Billboard's Top 200 (U.S.) album chart for a record-setting 14 years.
- Discovered and mentored British chanteuse Kate Bush.
- Released his first solo album, David Gilmour, in 1978.
- Feuded with Floyd bandmate Roger Waters after Waters quit the group in 1985 and sued Gilmour and the other members over the rights to the Pink Floyd name; they later settled.
- Awarded the CBE (Commander in the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire) in 2003 for services to music.
- Inducted with Pink Floyd in 1996 into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- Hired the Australian Pink Floyd (a tribute band) to play his 50th birthday party.
- Learned to play saxophone in his mid-50s after his son Charlie expressed an interest in the instrument; they took lessons from the same teacher.
- Sold his London home in 2003 and donated the entire amount (3.6 million pounds) to the homeless charity Crisis; he later served as the organization's vice president.
- Donated all royalties to charity when Pink Floyd sales spiked following the group's memorable Live 8 reunion in 2005.
- Once watched The Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon to check the alleged synchronicity between the two. It didn't make much sense to him.
- Virginia 'Ginger' Hasenbein — Wife
- Sara — Daughter
- Romany — Daughter
- Peter Gilmour — Brother
- Sylvia Gilmour — Mother
- Douglas Gilmour — Father
- Matthew — Son
- Gabriel — Son
- Polly Samson — Wife
- Catherine Gilmour — Sister
- Alice — Daughter
- Charlie — Stepson
- Joe — Son
- Clare — Daughter
- Mark Gilmour — Brother
- Attended Cambridgeshire College of Arts and Technology, Cambridge, England
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorites shows - Start Now
- 1. SMILF's Frankie Shaw Addresses Misconduct Allegations on Today
- 2. Steve Carell Reunites with The Office Creator for a Trump-Inspired Space Force Comedy
- 3. Oliver Is Going Legit in Arrow's Midseason Premiere Trailer
- 4. Now We Know How Jeffrey Dean Morgan's John Winchester Will Return to Supernatural
- 5. The Flash's Disappearance Will Play a Major Role in the Next Arrowverse Crossover
- 6. Syfy Closes the (Dream) Door on Channel Zero
- 7. Julia Roberts Isn't Returning for Homecoming Season 2