- Worked as a newspaper columnist in Rome.
- Made his directorial feature-film debut with The Bird With the Crystal Plumage (1969).
- First English-language film he directed was Creepers (1984).
- Owns a horror-memorabilia store in Rome.
- A master of high-end, horror cinema, he is best known for his visually stunning 1977 film Suspiria about a ballet school run by witches.
- Often uses his own hands, clad in black gloves, for close-up shots of the killers' hands in his films.
- Father of actress-writer-director Asia Argento.
- Claudio Argento — Brother
- Daria Nicolodi — Ex-significant Other
- Marisa Casale — Ex-wife
- Fiore Argento — Daughter
- Asia Argento — Daughter
- Elda Luxardo — Mother
- Salvatore Argento — Father