- Won the San Francisco Stand-Up Comedy Competition in 1977.
- Made his film debut in 1981's Halloween II.
- Had a role in a 1982 sitcom, One of the Boys, which also featured Mickey Rooney, Nathan Lane and Meg Ryan.
- His brother Brad was the inspiration for his Saturday Night Live character Garth.
- Other than that hysterical Wayne's World guy, also famed for such unforgettable SNL characters as the Church Lady and Hans (from Hans and Franz).
- Former President George H.W. Bush, subject for another one of Carvey's SNL brilliant impersonations, paid tribute to the comic actor on the occasion of Gerald Ford's 2007 funeral, noting Ford's having to deal with Chevy Chase's take on Ford on SNL in the 1970s. Bush, borrowing Carvey's immortal Bush-spoofing phrase , said, "I'd tell you more about that, but as Dana Carvey would say, 'Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.' "
- Underwent a double-bypass operation in 1998 and filed a malpractice lawsuit when his surgeon bypassed the wrong artery; settled for an undisclosed sum, which Carvey donated to charity.
- Is an avid runner who has been profiled in such magazines as Runner's World.
- Honored by Comedy Central as among the greatest stand-ups of all time.
- In 2010, took part in a Ron Howard-directed video spoofing U.S. presidents on the Funny or die Web site; he took on Bush Sr.
- 1993, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1991, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 1992, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 1993, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program: Winner
- 1989, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 1990, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- Brad Carvey — Brother
- Dex Carvey — Son
- Lori Carvey — Sister
- Mark Carvey — Brother
- Thomas Carvey — Son
- Bud Carvey — Father
- Scott Carvey — Brother
- Billie Carvey — Mother
- Paula Carvey — Wife
- San Francisco State University, San Francisco, California, United States (BA in Communication Arts, 1979)