- Was a star lineman on his high-school football team.
- Served in the U.S. Marines during the Vietnam war.
- Acted as the dramatic director of the Raft Theater in Manhattan.
- Directed a production of Self Storage at the Equity Waiver Theater in Los Angeles in 1990.
- Met Wonder Years creator Neal Marlens while shooting a guest spot for Growing Pains, and the two connected over their Long Island upbringing and the fact that they attended rival high schools.
- Made his Broadway debut in 2010 as the star of Lombardi, a play about the life of football coach Vince Lombardi.
- Joseph J. Lauria — Father
- Carmela Lauria — Mother
- Eileen Lauria — Ex-wife
- Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, Connecticut, United States (1969); University of Connecticut, Storrs-Mansfield, Connecticut, United States (MFA, 1991)