A former high-school quarterback, Meloni worked as a construction worker and bouncer before breaking into acting. He toiled in a number of small film roles and short-lived TV series before a breakout role on Oz in 1998 as a psychotic, bisexual murderer. His raw sexual energy and full-frontal nude scenes made him an audience favorite (especially with gay fans, though he is heterosexual), even though his character was just as likely to kill as kiss. The next year he started on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as a moralistic but explosive detective and appeared on both shows concurrently until Oz came to an end in 2003. Meloni, who is married with two children, has managed to find time for other acting work, including a supporting role in Nights in Rodanthe (2008) and the voice of the hero in the animated comic-book adaptation Green Lantern: First Flight (2009).
- Left college during his junior year to try to find acting work in L.A., but after six weeks, he returned to Colorado.
- Studied acting at the Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre in New York City.
- Met his wife, production designer Sherman Williams, on an HBO set.
- In 2007, was inducted into his high school's athletic Hall of Fame as a member of the undefeated 1978 football team, for which he was quarterback.
- 2006, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- Robert Meloni — Father
- Sophia Eva Pietra Meloni — Daughter
- Cecile Meloni — Mother
- Michele Meloni — Sister
- Robert Meloni Jr. — Brother
- Sherman Williams — Wife
- Dante Amadeo Meloni — Son
- University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, United States (BA in History, 1983)
Every Episode of Game of Thrones, Ranked From Worst to Best
Find out which episode of the HBO hit reigns supreme.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. This Is Why Grey's Anatomy and TGIT Aren't on Tonight
- 2. Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight Is Now Streaming on Netflix With a Major Twist
- 3. An In Living Color Reunion, Seth Rogen's The Boys, And Other Reasons TV Fans Should Pay Attention to Tribeca
- 4. Game of Thrones Is Now Rolling Out Those 'Movie Length' Episodes
- 5. Which Bubble Shows Will Be Renewed and What Will Get Canceled?
- 6. The Deadwood Movie Trailer Is Just as Effing Explicit as the Effing Series
- 7. Here's the Game of Thrones Character Bookies Bet Will Die Next