Three times was the charm for this Season 6 American Idol finalist. Although he had auditioned for FOX's reality juggernaut twice before — even making it to Hollywood in Season 5 before getting the boot — he decided that he needed a gimmick to stay alive. On his wife's advice, he grew his curly hair out into his signature 'fro. He also let his humor show through: When the judges asked why he wanted to be on the show, he deadpanned, "I want to make David Hasselhoff cry," referring to the Baywatch star's reaction to Taylor Hicks' 2006 win. But Sligh wasn't just a sly competitor; he was a distinctive singer, too, who had studied music in college and fronted the band Half Past Forever. In fact, the group's debut album, Take a Chance on Something Beautiful, was released in February 2007, a month before he made it to the AI finals. Unfortunately, Sligh's AI tenure was short-lived: after a series of lackluster performances, he was the third finalist to be booted. Since Idol, Sligh has continued to work in the music industry producing albums, writing songs (including the #1 hit "Here Comes Goodbye" for Rascal Flatts) and working on his music, most notably the 2010 release The Anatomy of Broken.
- Spent 10 years living in Germany with his missionary parents.
- Wasn't allowed to listen to music as a child.
- When he auditioned for AI, he was three credits short of his vocal performance degree.
- Keira Lennon Sligh — Daughter
- Susan Sligh — Mother
- Sarah Sligh — Wife
- Attended Pensacola Christian College, Pensacola, Florida, United States; attended Bob Jones University, Greenville, South Carolina, United States; attended North Greenville College, Tigerville, South Carolina, United States