- Dropped out of college after one semester and planned to drive across the country, à la Jack Kerouac, but by the time he saved enough money for the trip, had decided to pursue an acting career.
- Made Broadway debut in 2003 in a revival of Oscar Wilde's Salome, starring Al Pacino, David Strathairn, Dianne Wiest and Marisa Tomei.
- Discouraged by a stalled career in 2005, he was about to return to New York from Los Angeles, but got a break with a role on the final season of Six Feet Under, as Claire's love interest.
- In 2012, appeared in such feature films as Ruby Sparks, Fairhaven, The Giant Mechanical Man and 28 Hotel Rooms, and three TV series: Damages, The Newsroom and The Mindy Project.
- Cites Judd Hirsch and Harrison Ford as inspirations for his work on The Mindy Project.
- 2012, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2015, Critics' Choice Television Awards — Best Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2014, Critics' Choice Television Awards — Best Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- Giovanni Messina — Son
- Jennifer Todd — Significant Other
- Milo Messina — Son
- Phyllis Messina — Mother
- Attended Marymount Manhattan College, New York, New York, United States
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. mixed-ish Review: The black-ish Spin-off Gets Being Mixed Race Right
- 2. There's a Light at the End of the Tunnel for Jo on Grey's Anatomy
- 3. Survivor: Rob Cesternino Reveals His Favorite Island of the Idols Players – and How He Became a Survivor Legend
- 4. Alfred Tries to Dump Sandra In this Pennyworth Sneak Peek
- 5. Chicago P.D.'s Season 7 Premiere Will Finally Provide Answers About Antonio's Absence
- 6. Where to Stream Downton Abbey
- 7. Here Are the Episodes of Netflix's Criminal to Watch First