This multitalented, raven-haired Welsh performer was just a child when she began her career as the title character in the stage musical Annie. Zeta-Jones starred in a number of other London stage productions before segueing to the small and big screens in the early 1990s, and eventually became a star stateside when she signed on as a seductress in 1998's The Mask of Zorro. Her curvy figure, exotic looks and sassy screen presence made her an instant sex symbol. She continued to appear in high-profile films, alternating easily among multiple genres — action (Entrapment), comedy (America's Sweethearts), drama (Traffic, costarring her future husband Michael Douglas) — before landing her career-defining role as a 1930s cabaret singer-cum-murderess in the musical Chicago. Her song-and-dance background came in handy for the part, and she took home the 2003 Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her efforts. Off screen, Zeta-Jones made headlines when she announced she was pregnant with Michael Douglas' child in 2000; the two married a few months after the birth of their son and later added a daughter to their family in 2003. Interestingly, Zeta-Jones and Douglas share the same birthday, although Douglas is 25 years her senior.
- Her name comes from both of her grandmothers, one named Catherine and the other named Zeta (who was named after a ship her great-grandfather had sailed on).
- Had a tracheotomy as a child, which left a scar.
- Reportedly turned down a marriage proposal from producer Jon Peters in 1996 because she wanted to be known as an actress rather than just a Hollywood wife.
- For her role in Chicago, reportedly requested a short bob haircut so that her face would be visible and audiences would know that she did all of her own dancing.
- Performed an Oscar-nominated song from Chicago at the 2003 Academy Awards while eight-months pregnant with her second child. She took home a statue that night as Best Supporting Actress for her performance in the film.
- Named Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 2011.
- Built a house in her hometown of Swansea so her children would grow up aware of their Welsh heritage.
- Shares a birthday with her husband, Michael Douglas, who is 25 years her senior.
- 2002, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 2001, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2002, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 2000, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 1999, European Film Awards — Best European Actress - People's Choice Award: Winner
- 2003, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Winner
- 2003, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Supporting Actress: Winner
- 2010, Tony — Actress (Musical): Winner
- 2003, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 2002, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2005, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- 2003, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- Cameron Douglas — Stepson
- Carys Zeta Douglas — Daughter
- Dai Jones — Father
- Pat Jones — Mother
- Lyndon Jones — Brother
- Michael Douglas — Husband
- David Jones — Brother
- Dylan Michael Douglas — Son
Quiz: What Should You Binge Next on Netflix?
Skip the endless scroll! Find out what you really want to watch.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Angry Red Keeps Things Interesting on The Blacklist
- 2. One Chicago Is Losing Three of Its Stars, Including Jon Seda
- 3. Bellamy and Echo Will Be a 'Great Unit' in The 100 Season 6
- 4. Station 19 Just Tried to Pull a This Is Us with Chief Ripley
- 5. Grey's Anatomy: Jo's Downward Spiral Is Going to Ruin Her Life
- 6. All the Easter Eggs You Missed From The Twilight Zone, Legacies, Game of Thrones, and More
- 7. Everything We Know About The Handmaid's Tale Season 3 So Far