- Danced with the Princeton Ballet Company as a junior ballerina before moving to New York.
- Majored in dance for two years at Juilliard before leaving to pursue a career on Broadway.
- Broadway debut was as a replacement in A Chorus Line, as Sheila.
- Left Cheers and the character of Dr. Lilith Sternin-Crane at her own request to pursue film roles and other commitments.
- Appeared in a series of M&M commercials in 1995.
- Ten years after originating the role of Velma Kelly in Chicago, she returned to the show in 2006 playing the other lead, Roxie Hart.
- Received an Actors Fund Medal of Honor in 2011 for her work with the group, which provides support to members of the entertainment industry.
- 1999, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominee
- 1995, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1990, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 1991, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 1997, Tony — Actress (Musical): Winner
- 1986, Tony — Actress (Featured Role--Musical): Winner
- Paul Dorman — Ex-husband
- Chris Calkins — Husband
- Peter Neuwirth — Brother
- Lee Paul Neuwirth — Father
- Michael Danek — Ex-fiancé
- Sydney Anne Neuwirth — Mother
- Attended The Juilliard School, New York, New York, United States
- 1. How to Watch All the New Year's Day College Football Bowl Games
- 2. 2018-2019 TV Scorecard: Which Shows Are Canceled? Which Are Renewed?
- 3. Elementary To End After Season 7
- 4. Making a Murderer Filmmakers Sued By Manitowoc Police Sergeant
- 5. SMILF's Frankie Shaw Under Investigation for Mishandled Sex Scenes, Discriminatory Behavior
- 6. How to Watch Elf This Holiday Season
- 7. Meredith Will Find Love with Either DeLuca or Link on Grey's Anatomy