- Got her big break appearing in the 1960s TV series Gidget.
- Changed her professional name to Barbara Seagull in the 1970s in tribute to a seagull she accidentally killed while filming the 1969 drama Last Summer.
- During the making of the 1972 film Boxcar Bertha, she gave young director Martin Scorsese a copy of the book The Last Temptation of Christ; he directed the film adaptation in 1988 and cast her as Mary Magdalene.
- Was the first to win two consecutive Best Actress awards at Cannes (1987 for Shy People and 1988 for A World Apart).
- 1991, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Winner
- 2010, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1990, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Special: Winner
- 1987, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 2011, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Supporting Actress: Nominee
- 1997, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1996, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1987, Cannes Film Festival — Best Actress: Winner
- 1988, Cannes Film Festival — Best Actress: Winner
- 1991, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Special: Nominee
- 1989, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- Tom — Son
- David Carradine — Ex-significant Other
- Arnold Nathan Herzstein — Father
- Naveen Andrews — Ex-significant Other
- Stephen Douglas — Ex-husband
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorites shows - Start Now
- 1. Mindy Kaling Thinks Her Office Character Turned Into a Murderer
- 2. Everything We Know About the Rest of The Walking Dead Season 9
- 3. What to Stream the Weekend of Jan. 25
- 4. Anthony Scaramucci Exits Celebrity Big Brother Faster Than the White House
- 5. Here's Your First Look at Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor on Supergirl
- 6. Sex Education Is the Realest Fantasy You'll Ever Have
- 7. Suits Will Be Back for Just One More Season