Discovered in his teens, Getty burst onto the big screen as the de facto leader of a group of stranded military cadets in the 1990 drama Lord of the Flies. His intense performance was well-received and his career kicked off with roles in Young Guns II (1990), Natural Born Killers (1994), Judge Dredd (1995), White Squall (1996), David Lynch's Lost Highway (1997) and Big City Blues (1999). As his career gained momentum, he encountered off-screen drama when he battled a drug addiction like his father once did. Fortunately, he kicked the habit and continued to obtain movie roles and pursue music on the side. In 2000, he married fashion designer Rosetta Millington and she gave birth to the first of their four children. Now a family man, he continued to maintain his acting career. After portraying an addict in the flick Shadow Hours (2000), he was cast on the Fox series Pasadena. Throughout the '00s, he continued to appear on the silver screen and on the small screen. He wooed audiences as a sexy male witch on Charmed, made an impression as an agent on the final season of the ABC hit Alias, played a businessman in the USA Network's Traffic: The Miniseries and appeared briefly in the acclaimed TNT miniseries Into the West. In 2006, he became a member of the drama-filled Walkers on ABC's Brothers & Sisters and the series proved to be a hit. Two years later, his personal life experienced a setback when reports of extramarital dalliances with Sienna Miller surfaced. Subsequently, ABC reduced his screen time and he appeared in a handful of episodes in the fourth season of the show.
- Great-grandson of tycoon J. Paul Getty.
- His father, J. Paul Getty III, was kidnapped while on vacation in 1973. Although his family initially refused to pay the hefty ransom, the gangsters convinced them to do so by slicing off his right ear and sending it to a newspaper.
- Fell out of a tree and broke both arms shortly before filming his 1990 breakthrough role in Lord of the Flies; his injuries were worked into the movie.
- Founded production company called 5150.
- Formed the band Ringside with friend Scott Thomas, releasing a self-titled debut album in 2005.
- Appeared in pal David Arquette’s directorial debut The Tripper (2007).
- Aileen Getty — Aunt
- Anna Getty — Half Sister
- Ariadne Getty Williams — Aunt
- Gisela Getty — Mother
- June Catherine Getty — Daughter
- Grace Getty — Daughter
- Sienna Miller — Ex-significant Other
- Gail Harris Getty — Grandmother
- J. Paul Getty II — Grandfather
- Cassius Paul Getty — Son
- Rosetta Millington — Wife
- J. Paul Getty III — Father
- Violet Getty — Daughter
- Mark Getty — Uncle