- Danced in the 1989 Disney TV-movie Polly; which was directed and choreographed by Debbie Allen.
- Signed her first recording contract with Jive records at the age of 14, but ended their relationship after a year.
- Was offered a track scholarship to Hampton University but turned it down to pursue her career as a recording artist.
- In 2002, became the first artist since the Beatles to have three singles on the Billboard Top 10 chart at the same time.
- Received the 2002 Soul Train Aretha Franklin Award for Entertainer of the Year, which sparked controversy: a petition started by a California high-school student was signed by 30,000 people, who agreed that she was too new to deserve the award.
- Received a key to the city of Glen Cove, NY, and May 3, 2003, was declared Ashanti Douglas Day by Nassau County.
- Launched a perfume line in 2005 called Precious Jewel.
- Her 2008 The Declaration CD made three of Billboard's Top 10 charts.
- Took part in the "Stand Up to Cancer" fund-raising effort and TV special in 2008, and was among the artists who recorded a CD single for the drive.
- The following year, she was dropped from her record label, The Inc., as label head Irv Gotti cited professional differences between the two.
- Also in 2009, she made her stage debut when she joined the cast of The Wiz. She portrayed Dorothy.
- 2002, Grammy — Best Contemporary R&B Album: Winner
- Tina Douglas — Mother
- Nelly — Ex-significant Other
- Kincaid Douglas — Father
- Kenashia Douglas — Sister
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorites shows - Start Now
- 1. Grey's Anatomy's Sandra Oh and Kevin McKidd Had a Moment After the Golden Globes
- 2. Schitt's Creek Season 5 Is Moira's Moment, Peasants
- 3. The Masked Singer: The Deer Is Unmasked, Revealing a Hall of Famer
- 4. Vikings Just Revealed Where Lagertha Has Been, and It Is Seriously Bleak
- 5. Black Monday: You've Never Seen Wall Street This Funny (or Black)
- 6. 5 Reasons Not to Freak Out Over Riverdale's Latest WTF Cliffhanger
- 7. What to Stream the Weekend of Jan. 18