- Danced in the 1989 Disney TV-movie Polly; which was directed and choreographed by Debbie Allen.
- Signed her first recording contract with Jive records at the age of 14, but ended their relationship after a year.
- Was offered a track scholarship to Hampton University but turned it down to pursue her career as a recording artist.
- In 2002, became the first artist since the Beatles to have three singles on the Billboard Top 10 chart at the same time.
- Received the 2002 Soul Train Aretha Franklin Award for Entertainer of the Year, which sparked controversy: a petition started by a California high-school student was signed by 30,000 people, who agreed that she was too new to deserve the award.
- Received a key to the city of Glen Cove, NY, and May 3, 2003, was declared Ashanti Douglas Day by Nassau County.
- Launched a perfume line in 2005 called Precious Jewel.
- Her 2008 The Declaration CD made three of Billboard's Top 10 charts.
- Took part in the "Stand Up to Cancer" fund-raising effort and TV special in 2008, and was among the artists who recorded a CD single for the drive.
- The following year, she was dropped from her record label, The Inc., as label head Irv Gotti cited professional differences between the two.
- Also in 2009, she made her stage debut when she joined the cast of The Wiz. She portrayed Dorothy.
- 2002, Grammy — Best Contemporary R&B Album: Winner
- Nelly — Ex-significant Other
- Kincaid Douglas — Father
- Kenashia Douglas — Sister
- Tina Douglas — Mother
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. What's Leaving Hulu in March
- 2. How to Make the Oscars More Bearable
- 3. What's Coming to Hulu in March 2019
- 4. Jussie Smollett To Be Arrested for Filing a False Police Report
- 5. Jeremiah Reunites Bruce with His Dead Parents in this Gotham Sneak Peek
- 6. Last Man Standing Sneak Peek: Mike and Ryan Actually Agree About Capitalism (and Weed)
- 7. Sophia Bush Is Coming to Jane the Virgin's Final Season To Stir Things Up