- Born in Canada but moved to her mother's native New Zealand when she was 4; has dual citizenship.
- Has no formal training in acting.
- Won an Oscar for her work in The Piano when she was 11, the second youngest person to have done so (Tatum O'Neal was the youngest, at 10, for Paper Moon).
- Keeps her Oscar statuette in the closet so visitors don't feel that they have to make conversation about it.
- Made her professional stage debut in 2001 in Rebecca Gilman's The Glory of Living (directed by Philip Seymour Hoffman), which earned her a Theatre World Award and a Drama Desk Award nomination for Outstanding Actress in a Play.
- Other stage work includes Neil LaBute's The Distance From Here (2004) and Gina Gionfriddo's After Ashley (2005) in New York, and Kenneth Lonergan's This Is Our Youth (2002).
- Formed production company with her filmmaker brother, Andrew, called Paquin Films; their first film was Blue State (2007).
- Appeared on the silver screen with husband and True Blood costar Stephen Moyer in Open House (2010), a thriller her brother Andrew wrote and directed.
- 1994, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2009, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama: Winner
- 2007, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominee
- 2010, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama: Nominee
- 2008, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 2010, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 2000, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2007, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Nominee
- 2009, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1993, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 2016, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Supporting Actress in a Movie Made for Television or Limited Series: Nominee
- Stephen Moyer — Husband
- Lilac — Stepdaughter
- Poppy — Daughter
- Charlie — Son
- Andrew Paquin — Brother
- Mary Paquin — Mother
- Brian Paquin — Father
- Katya Paquin — Sister
- Billy — Stepson
- Attended Columbia University, New York, New York, United States
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorites shows - Start Now
- 1. Baywatch on Amazon Prime Will Heat Up Your Winter
- 2. Here's What to Stream Before Gillian Anderson Arrives on The Crown
- 3. Pete Davidson Returns to SNL to Talk a Bit About Mental Health but Mostly The Mule
- 4. Saturday Night Live Spoofs the Shutdown with Deal or No Deal Parody
- 5. At Long Last, the American Gods Season 2 Trailer Is Here
- 6. Happy Super Blood Wolf Moon! Here's a Ranking of the Best TV Werewolves
- 7. Sex and the City's Sarah Jessica Parker Teases Carrie Bradshaw Return