A native New Yorker who studied with famed acting teacher Uta Hagen, Peet launched her career in a 1995 off-Broadway revival of Awake and Sing! After a brief stint on One Life to Live she moved to Hollywood, where Peet rarely lacked for work, appearing in a succession of romantic comedies before landing her breakthrough role as a relationship-challenged twentysomething on the dramedy Jack & Jill (1999-2001). Her nude scene in the 2000 comedy The Whole Nine Yards earned her a bevy of fans, but instead of settling for being eye candy, Peet began tackling challenging supporting roles that made the most of her intelligence, including a junkie in the indie Igby Goes Down (2002) and a grieving mother in Syriana (2005). In 2006 she took time out from her jam-packed schedule to make her Broadway debut in a revival of Neil Simon's Barefoot in the Park, and landed a part in Aaron Sorkin's series Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Despite 60's disappointing one-season run, Peet continued a steady film career, including 2012 (2009) and Please Give (2010).
- Studied acting with Uta Hagen while finishing college.
- Early acting experience included a spot in a Skittles candy commercial.
- Named one of People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People in 2000.
- In 2008, volunteered as a spokesperson for Every Child by Two, a non-profit, vaccine-advocacy group cofounded by former First Lady Rosalynn Carter.
- Has memorized all of the lines to the 1982 film Tootsie.
- 2011, Independent Spirit Awards — Robert Altman Award: Winner
- 2006, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- David Benioff — Husband
- Penny Peet — Mother
- Brian Van Holt — Ex-significant Other
- Frances Pen Benioff — Daughter
- Charles Peet — Father
- Molly June Benioff — Daughter
- Henry Peet Friedman Benioff — Son
- Columbia University, New York, New York, United States (BA in History, 1995)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Modern Love Review: Amazon's Anthology Might Disappoint Longtime Fans of the Column
- 2. Power's Naturi Naughton Is 'Nervous' for Tasha Following LaKeisha's Murder
- 3. Potential Clueless Reboot Panders to Millennials In the Bleakest Way Possible
- 4. American Horror Story: 1984 Will Be the Show's Shortest Season Yet
- 5. Kurt Sutter Fired From FX's Mayans M.C.
- 6. Kerry Washington Is Giving Us Chills In The First Trailer for Netflix's American Son
- 7. Supernatural Alum Colin Ford Sweetly Thanks Jared Padalecki for Letting Him Play Young Sam