- Father was a priest in the Romanian Orthodox Church.
- Played football in high school until an injury nearly crippled him.
- After his injury, decided to try out for a high-school production of Guys and Dolls, which awakened a love for theater. A year later, he was selected as one of Chicago's top high-school performers.
- First major acting job was playing Danny Zuko in a touring production of Grease.
- Continued his association with Grease with the role of T-Bird Johnny Nogerelli in the film Grease 2 (1982).
- Best known to TV fans for playing Vince Romano opposite William Shatner in the 1980s crime drama T.J. Hooker.
- Performed the dual roles of Adam and Noah in a production of the Bible-based musical Children of Eden in 1997 at the Paper Mill Playhouse in New Jersey, and can be heard singing those roles on the cast album.
- As of 2013, has appeared in four productions of Grease and has played Danny three times, more than any other actor.
- Zachary Zmed — Son
- Dylan Zmed — Son
- Persida Zmed — Mother
- Susan Wood — Ex-wife
- George Zmed — Father
- Barbara Fitzner — Ex-wife
- DePaul University, The Theatre School, Chicago, Illinois, United States (BFA); attended Chicago College of Performing Arts, The Music Conservatory, Chicago, Illinois, United States