- Wanted to be an actor since a child; her parents agreed to let her take acting and dance lessons because they thought it would help her overcome being clumsy.
- First acting teacher was Butterfly McQueen from Gone With the Wind, who attended her church.
- In college she and a fellow student adapted Toni Morrison's novel The Bluest Eye into a play; Morrison invited her to perform the play in her New York apartment before it opened Off-Broadway.
- Won an Obie in 1996 for her performance in Venus.
- Has appeared in recurring roles on NYPD Blue, Prison Break, Saving Grace; and Law & Order.
- Has been a regular on American Dreams; True Blood; and The Newsroom.
- 2018, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Limited Series Or A Movie: Nominee
- Jack Porter Madison — Son
- Jourdan Madison — Daughter
- Dorothy Porter — Mother
- Guy Porter — Father
- David Raymond Hecht — Ex-husband
- Larry Earl Madison Jr. — Husband
- State University of New York at Purchase, Purchase, New York, United States