- Trained with the National Youth Theatre.
- One of his earliest jobs was to sell insurance over the phone.
- When going to audition for drama school in New York in 2002, his airplane was diverted by fighter jets and he was wrongfully arrested at JFK airport for being a suspected terrorist.
- Accepted a BAFTA award on behalf of director Chris Morris in 2011.
- Appeared in Hamlet with the Young Vic Theatre in 2011.
- 2017, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2015, BAFTA Television Awards — Best Supporting Actor: Nominee
- 2017, BAFTA Television Awards — Best Actor: Winner
- Humayum Akhtar — Father
- Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England (BA Hons in Law); The New School, Actors Studio Drama School, New York, New York, United States