- Members of the Native American Saulteaux Tribe, he and his brothers grew up on the Dog Creek Reservation until their parents died when he was 8.
- Made his small-screen debut in the 1990 made-for-TV movie Lost in the Barrens.
- Won the Best Actor award at the American Indian Film Festival for his turn in the 1994 drama Dance Me Outside, a portrait of Native American teens living on a reservation.
- Learned Navajo for his role as Ben Yahzee in John Woo's World War II drama Windtalkers (2002), the story of marines assigned to protect Navajo radiomen.
- Joined the cast of NBC's long-running police drama Law & Order: Special Victims Unit in 2007, playing Detective Chester Lake. The same year, he appeared in the cable film, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, executive produced by Dick Wolf, who created Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.
- After leaving the police drama in 2008, appeared in HBO's Big Love in 2010.
- Is a public speaker who sought office in Lake Manitoba First Nation.
- 2008, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 2007, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Supporting Actor: Nominee
- Meredith Porter — Ex-wife
- Tara Mason — Ex-wife
- Luke Beach — Son
- Summer — Ex-significant Other
- Leah Gibson — Significant Other
- Phoenix Beach — Daughter
- Noah Beach — Son
- 1. Someone's Got a New Wife on The Big Bang Theory
- 2. How to Watch All the New Year's Day College Football Bowl Games
- 3. 2018-2019 TV Scorecard: Which Shows Are Canceled? Which Are Renewed?
- 4. Elementary To End After Season 7
- 5. Making a Murderer Filmmakers Sued By Manitowoc Police Sergeant
- 6. SMILF's Frankie Shaw Under Investigation for Mishandled Sex Scenes, Discriminatory Behavior
- 7. How to Watch Elf This Holiday Season