- Began acting on stage at age 6; appeared in Macbeth in 1999 and in Arthur Miller's All My Sons a year later.
- Made TV debut in 2001 in the BBC/A&E movie Armadillo and was a regular on the six-part BBC teen drama Feather Boy.
- Made theatrical-film debut in the title roles of the 2002 family drama Tom & Thomas; other major film credits include The Illusionist (2006) and the coming-of-age comedy-drama Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging (2008).
- Stars as John Lennon in the 2009 film Nowhere Boy, which focuses on the early life of the rock icon; began a relationship with the film's director, Sam Taylor-Wood, who is 23 years his senior.
- 2017, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Supporting Actor: Nominee
- 2011, BAFTA Film Awards — Rising Star Award: Nominee
- 2017, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture: Winner
- Angelica — Stepdaughter
- Gemma Johnson — Sister
- Romy Hero — Daughter
- Wylda Rae — Daughter
- Jessie — Stepdaughter
- Sam Taylor-Wood — Wife