Nominations for the 78th-annual Academy Awards were announced Tuesday morning, and leading the herd was yep Brokeback Mountain, lassoing eight nods, including best picture, best director, and acting bids for Heath Ledger (in the lead category), Jake Gyllenhaal (supporting) and Michelle Williams. Challenging the cowboy romance for best-pic honors are Capote, Crash, Munich and Good Night, and Good Luck. The lead-actor race pits Ledger against SAG-Golden Globe winner Philip Seymour Hoffman (Capote), Globe winner Joaquin Phoenix (Walk the Line), Terrence Howard (Hustle & Flow) and David Strathairn (Good Night), while the lead-actress contenders are SAG-Globe winner Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line), Globe winner Felicity Huffman (Transamerica), Judi Dench (Mrs. Henderson Presents), Keira Knightley (Pride & Prejudice) and Charlize Theron (North Country). For a complete list of who's up for what, click here.
- 1. Say It Isn't So: Supernatural Will End After Season 15
- 2. HBO Is Bringing Back Perry Mason, and This Time He F*cks
- 3. We Need to Talk About That OA: Part II Ending
- 4. The Conners Is Coming Back for Season 2
- 5. Everything I Learned About Sex, I Learned From Black '90s Sitcoms
- 6. The Sex in Now Apocalypse Is Concerned with Liberation, Not Labels
- 7. Stranger Things Is a Stealth Blueprint for Successfully Navigating Puberty