Who's that girl... in Schmidt's bedroom? It's not Jess!
New Girl's resident buff lothario Schmidt (Max Greenfield) has had his share of no-strings hookups, but his most recent conquest — Jess' best friend Cece — is a little problematic. Not only is Cece ashamed of being with the awkwardly arrogant Schmidt, but for some reason, she just keeps coming back to him while keeping Jess (Zooey Deschanel) from finding out about the affair. At some point this season after New Girl returns on Tuesday (9/8c, FOX), Jess will learn her best friend's secret.
"We've seen Cece take care of Jess, Jess take care of Cece, they've always had each other's backs. But this is the first time that Cece; has kept something from Jess," Hannah Simone, who plays Cece, told TVGuide.com at Monday's New Girl PaleyFest event, which featured a panel moderated by TV Guide Magazine's Rob Moynihan. "She feels a little betrayed. They really have to deal with it. That's the test of a friendship, when you feel like you're lied to. So I loved that episode because as the show progresses, you get more and more real stories."
Check out 10 more things we learned from the actors and the panel coming up on New Girl this season:
1. Nick climbs into stirrups. The bartender gets injured on Tuesday's episode and has to accept Jess' unique brand of help to get treatment. "He doesn't have insurance and Jess is willing to hook him up with a friend, but her only friend who will look at his back is a gynecologist," Jake Johnson, who plays Nick, explained. "My body did not want to go in those positions. I'm not the most flexible man in the world."
2. Schmidt shows off more skin. "We know what our strengths and weaknesses are on the show, and Max naked is one of our strengths," said series creator Elizabeth Meriwether. Deschanel tried to explain the allure: "It's the tiny nipples and it's the moles. It makes the body look more jacked-up."
3. Winston and Nick get slap happy. "Nick owes me money, so we have it out a little bit at the grocery store," Lamorne Morris said. "We just slap each other for a very long period of time. It gets bad. What's funny about that day is I had the worst headache. So not only was my face stinging, but my brain was rattling back and forth because he doesn't hit lightly. He's such a real actor that he likes to haul away at you."
4. Schmidt impresses Cece with his vocals. "We shot something a couple weeks ago where Max sings a little bit in front of Cece," said Simone. "I felt like it was my hardest day of work in my life to not ruin the take and laugh through it because he kept making up lyrics. I call him unprofessionally funny because he will always make me break every take."
5. Nick finds a surprising new love interest. "It was revealed in the script we were shooting right now, and I looked at the writers and I went, 'Really?'" Johnson said. "I was very surprised. It's consistent in that it works with the character, but I think it's pretty surprising."
6. Jess gets into the game. "There's a new game called True American," Deschanel said. "I made up a song for it. I don't know if it made it into the episode." Meriwether added, "It's a drinking game. We don't know what the rules are exactly, but they play it for half an episode."
7. Schmidt continues wearing tight shirts. "Every once in a while I'll put on a shirt to play Schmidt and go, 'Man, this is too tight,'" Greenfield said. "I finally built up the confidence to sometimes say, 'You know what? This is too much. I'm not wearing this today.' There was a magenta number they tried to put me in. I was like, 'Nope.' It was a blouse, a small blouse. I would not do it. It was a half-shirt. But there's a turquoise one that comes up. That thing was like spandex."
8. Jess finds romance with older man Russell. "Dermot [Mulroney] plays the father of a student in the class I teach, my sixth grade class," said Deschanel. "He is sophisticated and debonair and fancy and he like, engages me in playful banter and that was good. We end up starting a little thing, a little something-something over the course of some episodes."
9. Nick and Russell start a bromance? "I think Nick falls in love with him... Russell sweeps Nick Miller off his feet," said Johnson. "What's surprising is his opinion of and relationship with Dermot Mulroney's character. He spends a lot of time with him."
10. Jess eats like a reptile. Deschanel explained how a line in the script about a turtle led to her revealing one of her childhood skills. "I spent a lot of time on the San Isidro Islands growing up and these tortoises lived next door to me. But the tortoises have an amazing way of eating, and so I got to bring that into the show and that was cool. My sister and I would do that for hours, like, 'Eat yogurt like a turtle! Eat oatmeal like a turtle!' It'll all fall out of their mouths. They eat so slowly."
New Girl airs Tuesdays at 9/8c on FOX.
Do you think Schmidt and Cece will stay together after their secret is out? What do you think is so surprising about Nick's new love interest?