Love was in the air on Tuesday's episode of Glee with not one, not two, but three proposals!
Yes, Beiste and Cooter eloped after an eye-opening trip to Taco Bell (excessive processed cheese does weird things to us, too) and their nuptials inspire Emma to get serious about settling down with Will. Will decides to pop the question — that is until he tries to get her wack-a-doodle parents' permission and they question whether he'll be able to handle Emma's OCD issues long-term. This being Glee, Will eventually comes to his senses and proposes with help from New Directions and the synchronized swim team. We're still scratching our heads about how that is so romantic (ah, the heavy smell of chlorine) but she says yes anyways.
During his soul-searching, Will asks Finn to be his best man because, as he put it, "you've taught me more about being a man than anyone I've ever known." Last time we checked, a) Finn has a lot of growing up to do before he's really a man and b) its really inappropriate to ask your teenage student to be in your wedding. In any case, Finn happily accepts and reveals to Mr. Schue that he wants to join the army — a thought his mom quickly squashes when she reveals the horrible effect war had on his dad. The truth puts Finn in a tailspin that ends with him proposing to Rachel. How does she answer? You'll have to wait two weeks to find out!
Love was in the air for the rest of our other fair glee clubbers, too. Sam set his sights on getting Mercedes back, a tactic which involved joining the synchronized swimming team under Coach Roz (guest star NeNe Leakes), crooked nipples be damned! And Becky (complete with a voiceover that allows Helen Mirren to utter things like "realz" and "boo-yah") pursued Artie only to get her heartbroken.
But did all the glee club kids' performances have you feelin' the love? (See what we did there?) I rank the episode's romantic performances from least-romantic to sex on a stick:
6. "Moves Like Jagger/ "Jumpin Jack Flash" I know Artie was just trying to show off Will's best assets — mm, those rock star hips — but did he really think Mr. Schue was going to propose with a song that says "take me by the tongue"?
5. "We Found Love" Sure, the girls' flower hair pins and '40s-style swimsuits make the big proposal number seem semi-romantic, but Rihanna's hit dance track was way too fast-paced (does Emma secretly frequent clubs in Lima on the weekends?) We don't even see Will until the end of the song — and he doesn't even sing! Also, is anyone else reminded of this song's video, which is supposedly inspired by Rihanna's tumultuous relationship with Chris Brown? Maybe it's just me.
4. "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" This performance featured Rachel, Tina, Mercedes and Santana all dressed up, thinking about their respective significant others (except in Mercedes' case) and lays it on thick. Almost too thick.
3. "Summer Nights" I had no idea Puck was jones-ing to know all about Sam and Mercedes, but it was nice to finally get the deets on their brief love affair. The performance itself felt way too much of a copycat of the original scene from Grease, but the energy is infectious and you can feel the sparks between the former pair. Bonus points for finally using Chord Overstreet (I've blocked "Red Solo Cup," thank you very much) since his much-hyped return and for casting Santana and Kurt as Rizzo.
2. "Without You" Rachel's powerful and emotional vocals. The back-up strings orchestra. The spotlight on Finn in the middle of the performance as he caresses her face. It was pretty darn hard not to shed a tear (or four) during this moving ballad.
1. "Wedding Bells" I am admittedly not a fan of the songs Emma has sung but this one is a great pick for her vocals and is the perfect mix of business and pleasure. It pushes the storyline forward, but also offers some great shots of Emma walking down the aisles of McKinley in a princess wedding dress with Coach Sue (with a Princess Beatrice-style hat!) as one of her bridesmaids. Forget Zooey, this is the real meaning of adorkable.
So what did you think of the episode? What was your favorite song? Do you think Rachel will yes or no? Sound off in the comments below!