People love to debate the merits of Rory's (Alexis Bledel) romantic partners on Gilmore Girls – ourselves included. But while we waste time talking about Dean (Jared Padalecki) vs. Jess (Milo Ventimiglia) vs. Logan (Matt Czuchry), we risk missing the truth that's right in front of our faces: Rory's one true pairing isn't a philandering mechanic, a sensitive bad boy, or a trust fund baby. It's Paris (Liza Weil).
Sure, they've had their ups and downs over the years, but what relationship hasn't? Though they started off as rivals when Rory begun at Chilton, the pair developed a complex, layered friendship that proved to be one of Rory's most fulfilling and reliable relationships by the series' end. Other than Lorelai, no one was more supportive of Rory when things were tough, and no one — not even Jess — was Rory's intellectual match (or superior) like Paris was. So in honor of Gilmore Girls' 20th anniversary, let's look back on 15 things that prove Rory and Paris are each other's soulmates.
1. They already fight like an old married couple.
2. But they can never stay mad at each other.
3. Paris already loves Rory's entire family.
4. Maybe a little too much sometimes.
5. They share the same priorities.
6. Paris can keep up with all of Rory's quips and references.
7. They just *get* each other.
8. Paris always says what Rory thinks.
9. And Rory says what Paris is too oblivious to notice.
10. They'll always be there for each other.
11. Even when things get messy.
12. Paris will stand up for Rory when she won't do it herself.
13. And Rory brings out the softer side of Paris (sometimes).
14. They always keep it real — even during times of grief.
15. Because boyfriends come and go, but Paris and Rory's friendship is forever.
Gilmore Girls is available to stream on Netflix.