Fringekicked off the final day at Comic-Con Sunday with a crowd full of Observers — at least it looked that way with more than 6,000 fans donning Fringe fedoras. They gathered to celebrate the tearful final panel for the Fox sci-fi series, which will say farewell at the end of its upcoming fifth season.
Check out our complete Comic-Con coverage
While the cast and executive producer J.H. Wyman were very coy about teasing the final season, a new pre-filmed trailer — the cast is not back in production yet — featured a few spoilers from the show's swan song. We broke down all the things you need to know below. Plus: Will Olivia (Anna Torv) and Peter (Joshua Jackson) get their happily ever after?
1. Future fun: Yes, the final season will take place in the future, picking up almost exactly where the show left off in last season's 19th episode in 2036
2. Reunited and it feels so good: The special trailer featured footage from last year's flash-forward, which showed the Observers ruling the Earth. Lest we forget, the Fringe team knows how to get rid of them! We got a quick peek at scenes that featured Olivia telling Peter that their daughter Henrietta has become everything she ever hoped for; the revival of William Bell (Leonard Nimoy), who is needed to take down the Observers; and Peter saying the Fringe team will be causing some fringe events of their own to distract the Observers. Plus: The Fringe team watched some "lost footage" from the past that appears to show what happened when the Observers took over.
Exclusive Fringe shocker: Executive producer Jeff Pinkner exits series
3. Peter and Olivia: Will they finally get a happy ending? Wyman refused to let Jackson and Torv answer, which prompted Jackson to cover Wyman's own mic and say: "I think that these two will get the final chapter of their story." Added Torv: "I concur."
4. Speaking of love: Truly, Fringe is all about the love. "The thing that holds Fringe together is the power of love," John Noble said. "All the characters have developed genuine love. The love between the father and son, the love between Peter and Olivia... Through all of the sci-fi, it's that love factor that's kept us going and will give us a brilliant final chapter."
5. The Observers: Confused about the Observers? Wyman announced that a book will be released sometime during the final season which explains, through the eyes of September , who the Observers are and what they've been through,. For the record, Wyman says that the answer to the question of whether there are female Observers will be answered this year.
6. Simon's return: Sticking with the coy thing, Wyman was shy to confirm whether Henry Ian Cusick's Simon Foster — who appeared in last season's flash to the future and ended up in the amber the team was previously stuck in — will return in the final season. "Let's just say Henry was an astounding performer last season," Wyman said. "Let's see if he makes his way into this season."
See photos of the Fringe cast
7. The end: Wyman noted that he had ideas about how the series should end back in Season 1. "But those changed, to be honest, because people bring things to the pie that you don't really expect and then it makes you think about a whole different way to go," he said. As of three months ago, he had two and a half versions of the end in his mind, but he's finally settled on where the last chapter will close.
8. The end? Noble didn't rule out the possibility of a Fringe movie, should the final season be successful! So tune in for the final season, and cross your fingers!
The fifth and final season of Fringe premieres Friday, Sept. 28 at 9/8c on Fox. Watch the trailer below: