Despite a raging controversy concerning its accuracy, A Beautiful Mind was named best picture of the year Sunday night at the 74th annual Academy Awards. Mind also won for best director (Ron Howard), best adapted screenplay and best supporting actress (Jennifer Connelly). The big news, however, was the historic African-American sweep in the top acting categories: Halle Berry was named best actress for Monster's Ball and Denzel Washington captured best actor honors for Training Day. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring which came into the ceremony with a field-best 13 nods nabbed four technical awards. In a night of so many firsts, even the program's length broke a record: It ran 4 hours, 23 minutes, surpassing the 2000 mark of 4 hours, 9 minutes. For a complete list of winners, click here.
Quiz: What Should You Binge Next on Netflix?
Skip the endless scroll! Find out what you really want to watch.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. What to Stream the Weekend of March 22
- 2. The World Needs One Day at a Time, Now More Than Ever
- 3. Looking for Alaska Casts a Riverdale Serpent and Girl Meets World's Hot Uncle
- 4. The Deadwood Movie Finally Gets a Teaser and Premiere Date
- 5. Bane Is Coming for Babs in This Gotham Sneak Peek
- 6. Schitt's Creek Renewed for Sixth and Final Season
- 7. Everything We Know About Black Mirror Season 5