Last week, American Horror Story: Roanoke peeled back the curtain of the faux documentary series we'd been watching, giving viewers a behind-the-scenes look at the follow-up reality show, Return to Roanoke: Three Days in Hell.
Told entirely in found footage, Return to Roanoke follows the "real-life" Roanoke survivors Matt (Andre Holland), Shelby (Lily Rabe) and Lee (Adina Porter) living in the Shaker mansion with the reenactment actors from the original docu-series, Dominic Banks (Cuba Gooding Jr.), Audrey Tindall (Sarah Paulson), Monet Tumusiime (Angela Bassett) and Rory Monaghan (Evan Peters). However, the episode revealed that over the course of production, the entire cast died under mysterious circumstances — except one.
Poor Rory was the first to go, getting slashed by the psychotic Jane sisters not long after the Blood Moon rose, but who will be next?
We ranked the remaining cast members from definite goners to most likely to survive.
7. Dominic Banks: Out of all the reenactment actors, we know the least about Dominic. But based on the promo for "Chapter 7," it appears as though Dominic plans on being the villain of Return to Roanoke. And while "the bad guy's always the lead" on reality shows, as Dominic points out, they're also typically the first to die in horror movies.
6. Audrey Tindall: This prim Brit doesn't appear to be made of the tough stuff one needs to survive three days in hell. And without her husband Rory around, we're betting Audrey's even more vulnerable than the rest of the group, who either haven't experienced a traumatic loss yet or are already used to the terrors of the Shaker mansion. Plus, if Ryan Murphy really wants to shock us, he'd kill off Paulson, who has survived every season of American Horror Story except Hotel, in which she was already dead when the season began.
5. Monet Tumusiime: From the second Monet stepped in the house, she established an interesting dynamic with Lee, having become a real-life alcoholic in the wake of playing her. It would be a shame to kill Monet off until that relationship could be further explored. More importantly, it would be an even bigger shame to not make better use of Bassett's talent, having barely used her in the first half of the season. For these two reasons alone, we're betting Monet will at least make it decently far, but she likely won't be the Final Girl since none of the actors have a deep enough connection to the ongoing storyline with the Roanoke ghosts.
4. Agnes Mary Winstead: It could be argued that Agnes (Kathy Bates) shouldn't count in this ranking since she was technically fired from the show, but because Sidney (Cheyenne Jackson) never actually intended for her to stay away from the set, we think Agnes is fair game. And honestly, if any of the reenactment actors make it to the end, it will probably be her. That would explain why the lone survivor of Return to Roanoke isn't around to explain the footage or share their side of the story, since Agnes would likely be institutionalized for thinking she's an murderous Roanoke colonist.
3. Lee Harris: Lee used to be a cop, which means she has exactly the set of skills one might need to survive being trapped in a house filled with murderous ghosts. But even if Lee does live, that doesn't necessarily mean she'll get anything close to a happy ending. Since the world already thinks she murdered Mason, it's entirely possible the other deaths will get pinned on her too.
2. Shelby Miller: Shelby and Matt seem to be our protagonists this season, but they're definitely hiding something. Shelby has had far too many run-ins with the Butcher and lived to tell the tale for it to be pure luck, and something about her has never seemed quite as innocent as she'd like us to believe. Exactly what these secrets are will probably effect which of the Millers make it to the end, but if you ask us, Shelby is probably doomed. She's currently far too distracted by trying to fix her relationship with Matt, and that will most likely come back to bite her.
1. Matt Miller: We know why Shelby and Lee agreed to return to the house, but Matt's motives remain unclear. Could he have only returned in order to reunite with Lady Gaga's Witch of the Woods? If so, it's possible that all the murders are his way of paying tribute to the Witch to get back in her good graces (and her pants). However, if Matt is truly goo-goo for Gaga, then he could even take this obsession a step further and kill himself in order to be with the Witch of the Woods forever.
Or maybe Matt just really wanted the opportunity to beat the sh-- out of Dominic Banks, and he has no ulterior motives. Even then, he still could be the sole survivor based solely on the fact that he's repeatedly proven his ability to stay calm in the face of danger and shown he's brave enough to scrap his way out of most situations. Either way, Matt is definitely one to watch out for.
Who do you think will survive?
American Horror Story: Roanoke airs Wednesdays at 10/9c on FX.