Somewhat inspired by Paul Leni's classic 1924 silent horror film, WAXWORKS, this gory update was the feature film debut of 29-year-old writer-director Anthony Hickox, the son of director Douglas Hickox (THEATER OF BLOOD) and great-grandson of British film industry giant J. Arthur Rank.
Boasting a cast whose assembled filmographies read like a list of tragic career moves, WAXWORK features Warner as the evil owner of a house of wax who invites dim-witted teens Foreman (VALLEY GIRL), Galligan (GREMLINS), Johnson (BLAME IT ON RIO), and Ashbrook (RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD II) to a
private showing of his special collection--an assembly of classic movie monsters and real-life historical nut-cases. Of course, when the teens step beyond the velvet rope, they are instantly catapulted back in time and are stuck in the display with either Dracula (played by the oddly cast
O'Keeffe), the wolfman (Rhys-Davies when human, a stuntman when monster), the Marquis De Sade (Campbell), or NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD land. It seems that Warner is going to use these revived evildoers to somehow conquer the world and it is up to the wheelchair-bound Macnee to save humankind.
Sprinkled throughout the film are tributes to such horror films as THE MUMMY, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, ERASERHEAD, and LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS among others. Gorehounds will likely be pleased by the graphic bloodletting, but there's little else of interest here.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. At Long Last, Disney Plus Reveals the First Trailer for The Mandalorian
- 2. Star Wars Obi-Wan Series With Ewan McGregor Coming to Disney Plus
- 3. Disney Plus Debuts the First Live-Action Lady and the Tramp Trailer
- 4. Thor's Kat Dennings Returning to Marvel in WandaVision on Disney Plus
- 5. Everything We Know about the Cassian Andor Disney Plus Star Wars Show
- 6. The High School Musical The Musical: The Series Trailer Is Giving Us Major Glee Vibes
- 7. Marvel's She-Hulk Series is Coming to Disney Plus