All men are crooks, all women abused sluts in this amoral B movie.
Champion stock-car racer Jim (Chad McQueen) works ostensibly as a mechanic under Jerry (Dom DeLuise), a repairman-customizer for LA mobsters. But grand theft auto is Jim's true calling, and that draws the attention of Jerry's longtime client Keller (Jan-Michael Vincent). Keller orders Jim to grab
a Ferrari belonging to rival hood Larry (Michael Madsen). Jim carries out the job, and takes on car-wash tramp Gem (Roxana Zal) as a passenger after he stands up to her violent boyfriend. The well-matched pair decide that if Keller wants the Ferrari so much he'll pay extra for it. Knowing Keller
will kill him anyway, Jim also offers to ransom the precious car back to Larry. Keller thinks he's finally got Jim under control when his thugs kidnap the car-wash girl, but they've got the wrong car-wash girl. The Ferrari turns out to be filled with diamonds. It's smashed in a chase with Larry's
lackeys, but Jim and Gem escape with a fortune in gems. Jim has the wreck towed right into a Larry-Keller armed standoff, leaving the gangsters to slay each other over the supposed loot.
Jan-Michael Vincent appears throughout this stuff like a sight out of David Cronenberg's CRASH (1996), with his face a discolored knot of fresh stitches, attributed in the dialogue to an attempted mob hit. Cold comfort though it may be, Vincent's gruff, blunt line readings count as RED LINE's most
convincing performance. McQueen (son of Steve McQueen) and Madsen both breeze through their parts with a minimum of expression, while Zal jettisons any viewer sympathy when she casually abandons her best girlfriend to an uncertain fate at Keller's hands. She and McQueen are nonetheless
heroes-by-default in the pointless script. (Violence, substance abuse, extreme profanity, sex, nudity)
- 1. Freeform Pokes Fun at Shadowhunters Fans for Trying to Save the Show
- 2. Matt Damon's Saturday Night Live Monologue Was a Heartfelt Toast to His Family
- 3. Chris Klein Deserves Our Attention Again
- 4. Donald Trump Apparently Did Not Like Saturday Night Live's Cold Open This Week
- 5. Pete Davidson Surfaces on Saturday Night Live After Scary Instagram Post
- 6. Nina Dobrev Is Too Busy to Be on Legacies, but She Loves That You Love It
- 7. Put Some Respect on Chris Tucker's Name