Set during the Korean War but made at the height of the war in Vietnam, Robert Altman's exceptional antiwar comedy-drama follows the fortunes of a MASH (Mobile Army Surgical Hospital) unit. Hawkeye Pierce (Sutherland), Trapper John (Gould), and Duke Forrest (Skerritt) are the
martini-swilling, prank-playing, but compassionate and capable battlefield surgeons who make life miserable for chief nurse Hot Lips Houlihan (Kellerman) and fellow surgeon Maj. Frank Burns (Duvall), a by-the-book prig. Among the terrible trio's shenanigans are the broadcast of a Burns-Houlihan
lovemaking session over the camp public address system and the collapse of the women's shower to reveal the naked Maj. Houlihan. At the root of all this foolishness, however, is the attempt to mitigate the otherwise overwhelming bleakness of the war, to distract the doctors and nurses from the
terrible waste of life they witness. The film's climactic football game, one of Hollywood's funniest (featuring a number of onetime pro players), pits the MASH unit against a crack team brought in by a general who has been investigating the unit.
Clever camera setups, Altman's patented overlapping dialogue, wonderful sight gags and situations, and universally fine ensemble performances combine to make this one the most enjoyable war-themed films ever. What makes M*A*S*H so extraordinary, however, is that beyond its hilarious antics and
rich characters, the film offers a poignant portrait of the madness of war. This film was Altman's first major hit; the strength of this film made his subsequent career over the next decade possible.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Love Island Recap: Here's Who the New Gals Banished to the Hideaway
- 2. Suits Boss Promises Fans All the Darvey Romance They've Been Waiting For
- 3. Pearson Review: This Spin-Off Is Definitely Not Suits 2.0
- 4. 10 Free Things to Do at San Diego Comic-Con 2019 Without a Badge
- 5. Emmys 2019: Complete Coverage of the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards
- 6. You Need to See the OG Childlike Empress' Response to Stranger Things' NeverEnding Challenge
- 7. The Most Painful Snubs and Happiest Surprises of the 2019 Emmy Nominations